Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Week Twenty-Six: Lost - Al Bruno

So I really enjoy The Wizard of Oz (not the man, the 1939 film) because I feel that the story is very unique to and representative of the time the film was made. A little girl wishes for better things for her friend and family, mirroring the thoughts of many children (and adults) during the Great Depression. Her dreams carry us from Dust Bowl Kansas to a chromatic dreamscape, and we are eventually returned home to find that we were never lost to begin with. I feel that it was a heartbreaking time for Americans, and this film provided some escape.

Until she found her way (and her home), Dorothy was quite lost, so I chose her as my subject. This is a little sketch done with plain ol' pencil on plain 'ol paper, and I really enjoyed drawing it. I actually wish I could have taken some more time with it, maybe a couple more hours, to do some background and other characters, make it more whimsical and eye-catching, but I guess Dorothy and Toto all by themselves really look lost. I didn't touch it up too much, either, except for brightness and contrast; I liked the grainy, shadowed look and the black-and-white.

P.S. My Dorothy kinda' looks like Winnie Cooper.

2 comments:

JOHNNY ZITO said...

You have been watching a lot of Wonder Years...

Sorry I missed your friends last night, I was beat.

Melissa Impo said...

Yes you have been watching too much Wonder Years Al ... also she looks awesome and I dont know if you did it on purpose but the paper looks like its actually blowing away and bent ... kinda neat effect ...