Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Week Twenty-Five: Flight - Al Bruno

The more I thought about this week’s topic, the more I realized just how enamored I am with flight. It had humble beginnings with two bicycle makers from Dayton,was sanctified by members of the Apollo program, and in a short time of just over 100 years, it has become one of the most significant achievements of modern man.

Despite that, I chose a fictional character as the subject of my submission. To justify this choice; the Rocketeer captures that Hughes Era fascination and majesty associated with flight, the pure heroics we associate with aviators. The movie score (by James Horner, pre-Titanic) is bright and fanfare driven, which is just what I want for an American adventurer and pioneer. I took most of the visuals from the film’s artwork, but concentrated strictly on the character’s profile. I really like Art Deco and wanted to make the character even “more Deco” by simplifying the lines and adding some vintage poster noise. I feel my take came up short, and I would have loved to add a cool font, but I guess there was no need for it.

Drawn in Flash, color and finishing in Photoshop (finally!).

P.S. Jetpacks are wicked.

4 comments:

ckh said...

Wow. I am awed.

The Big Chump said...

Very good. I wish you can put your artistic talent into our lawn. Nice job.

mello said...

I have been obsessed with art deco and the time surrounding lately (notice my Heart Break submission)
I absolutely love this, Al Bruno

Melissa Impo said...

Ridiculous Al Bruno ... now you have to be this for Halloween or get it tattooed on your ass ...