Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Week Twenty: Boxing - Al Bruno

As soon as the topic was assigned, I thought to depict a boxer who has just lost a fight. At first I wanted to have him in the ring, then I wanted to show him lamenting with his trainer. But I ultimately though that the trials of a boxer, despite having people who care for him, are solely his, and that he alone feels the loss most intimately. I, along with Paul Simon, seem to think that being a boxer has little to do with the gloves, and after each loss, he must make the decision to give up or to continue fighting.

I tried to give the image a nostalgic feel, hence the yellows and browns and the red hair common among early 20th century boxers. I'm not too happy with the lighting and I wanted his hair to appear more disheveled. But I guess the ideas are there, and if not, I thrust them upon you in the previous paragraph. Keep fighting the good fight.

Painter.

8 comments:

mello said...

Beautiful, and painful.
I also thought of Paul Simon when considering this project, but found no way to apply it.
Amazing job again, Al.

ckh said...

Lai la lai. Lai la lai lai lai la lai lalalala laiiiiiiiieeee

Anonymous said...

Al, this is the best week yet. It's beautiful. The only slight change I would make is men usually sit with their legs open. He looks a little scared. MOM

Joe Bruno said...

Sorry we never got that picture taken for this, Alster. Looks fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Another good job. That picture depicts exactly how I feel when you and your brother are home for the weekend. The Big Chump

Alex said...

Aww, thanks family unit. It seems that you're my number one fans on the blog, just like in my social life.

Tony Trov said...

i think this stinks.

Melissa Impo said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww