Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Week Eighteen: Money - Chris


From Chris:

When I saw the theme Money I immediately thought of Common's "Chapter 13 (Rich Man vs. Poor Man)" even though I hadn't listened to the song in years. So I put the song on (along with a handful of other old-school Common tracks) and drew up this scene from "Chapter 13."

Anyway, you should click the link above to download the song and be reminded how great Common was back before he dated Erykah Badu and went crazy.

Also, looking at my drawing now that it is done: I notice that despite their differences the characters all have one thing in common: they are all apparently bald. Is this a statement by the artist about the common traits that can bring us together in spite of divisions of race or class? Or perhaps it is an unconscious reflection of the artist's own fear of hair-loss as a symbol for the inevitability of aging and, eventually, death?

Or maybe it’s just easier to draw hats than hair.

- Chris

No comments: