Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Week Seventeen: Cause and Effect - Al Bruno



BREAKING NEWS: SCIENCE AFOOT! Papier mache volcano filled with baking soda erupts once vinegar is added to the crater!

There was never a science fair at my grade school, so this is the first volcano I've ever made. This was a three-day old idea done at the last minute, and it's just a poster board cone with papier mache brown bag (one of my favorite surfaces) all over it. The volcanic conduit is just a trimmed water bottle, and I used about 4 tablespoons baking soda to about 1/2 cup colored vinegar. The gist of it is that adding vinegar to baking soda CAUSES the eruption and is a chemical EFFECT. It's science.

I embedded the video in Flash and quickly did the graphic overlays. I edited the sound in Goldwave and stuck it in there. Thanks to Dennis for the poster board, Tony for additional camera work and to JPZ for the directing advice.

4 comments:

Melissa Impo said...

I bet your favorite part of this project was the clean up at the end ...

Joe Bruno said...

Cause: Karate
Effect: Explosion
...
Should've thought to enter that in.

Tony Trov said...

this rules.

JOHNNY ZITO said...

We should have put lego people around the base.