Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Week Seven: School - Al Bruno

I tried to make this image resemble illustrations found in a children's book, so I went with fairly standard colors and simple shapes. I also wanted to get those asymmetrical, point-to-point planes in there, like a mild take on Genndy Tartakovsky's art. Not at all pleased with the empty space above the student's heads, but I was pressed for time and couldn't think of anything worthwhile to put up there.

The teacher is my sixth through eighth grade math teacher, Mr. McHale. Back then, he was drawn regularly for a variety of jokes and even happened upon one of my friend's less flattering interpretations of him in eighth grade. He was really a great teacher.

Almost entirely in Flash, noise applied in Paintshop.

5 comments:

Joe Bruno said...

I'm pretty sure the kid looking out the window in that picture. Hair seems close enough. The Vet's sign was a really awesome distraction.

Joe Bruno said...

*I'm pretty sure I'm the kid...

I've had stupid fingers all day.

Anonymous said...

Loved it. Brought back the best memories for Mom. Happy Days with my little guy.

Melissa Impo said...

Really, really like this Al, you never manage to disappoint us ... like that the board is just floating ...

JOHNNY ZITO said...

I like the colors you settled on for the teacher's shirt.

It helps lead the eye across the page.