Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Week Four: Music - Mello

From Mello:
Despite being a performing cellist for (now) half of my physical life, I found this week’s topic incredibly difficult. I was unsure of how I would visually describe music (which encompasses the visual and aural) and make it tangible to both the musician and the non-musician. So I dug through old stacks of my work until I came across what is listed above.

The following is a painting, which was initially about the Pettossima legend. However, the more I examined the painting, the more it resembled my understanding of "music". I believe that the elements of this week's topic are comprised of varying colors and textures, of which blend and exchange, to create one chaotic umbrella term: "music".

There is no archetype for "music", there are only personal representations which are shaped by our culture, our experience and our understanding of such happenings.

Oil on Canvas, Early 2006.

-Mello

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I really like this - great colors!

JOHNNY ZITO said...

You musicians like to make it up as you go :)

mello said...

Oh no, you've figured us out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

al said...

I'm really enjoying this painting. Ever the polyhistor, Ms. Mello, very impressive.

P.S. My mom hearts you.

mello said...

THanks Al Bruno.

P.S. I heart your mom.
I also heart you.